Although we service every major HVAC system brand, the one we recommend above all others is Trane. Trane is America’s most reliable HVAC system and has over 120 years in the business. Trane systems are so efficient and well-made, they’ve earned the title America’s Most Trusted HVAC System for five consecutive years by Lifestory Research. To find out how much more comfortable you’ll be and how much you’ll save on your heating bills, contact us for a consultation.
You can count on Performance Based Heating & Air for expert furnace repair when time is of the essence.
Signs You Need to Call a Heating Service Company
It’s not always apparent to the average homeowner that their heater is failing because sometimes, these systems often become gradually worse over time. However, the last thing you want on a sub-zero winter night is to find out your heater just up and quit because you ignored the warning signs. Here’s what to watch for and when you must consider a heating replacement.
- Higher Utility Bills – If your electric or gas bill has suddenly spiked, and you don’t know why it could be that your heater is becoming less efficient. As heaters age, they lose efficiency, meaning it takes more energy to do the same job it did before.
- Age – Depending on how old your home is, your heater could be well over 25 years old, which is way past its prime. The average heater lasts about 15 years with proper maintenance, and after that time, you should consider upgrading to a new model.
- Yellow Flame – If you have a gas furnace and notice that the flame is yellow instead of blue, it could mean the presence of carbon monoxide. Too much carbon monoxide in the home can be fatal, so check the flame regularly and call for heating repair if you see something is wrong.
- Strange Sounds – As heaters age, it’s typical for them to make loud noises when operating. If you hear squealing, rattling, or banging when your heater is running, it means something is wrong and requires repairs ASAP.
- Frequent Repairs – If you notice that you’re repairing your heater once a year or more, then it’s time to stop pouring money into an old system and upgrade to something more reliable.
- Short Cycling – If your heater constantly kicks on and off for short periods, it’s called short cycling. An overheating heat exchanger could be the cause of a system that short cycles. A short cycling system uses more energy and increases wear and tear on the unit.
The key to avoiding total heater failure is to call a heating service company at the first sign of trouble rather than waiting and hoping the issue will fix itself.
Tips for Extending the Lifespan of Your Heater
Your heater represents a significant investment, and it uses the most energy in the house. To avoid costly repairs or replacements and to ensure your heater runs efficiently to save you money, check out these tips for keeping your system in tip-top shape.
- Change the Filter – You’d be surprised by how many people go months or even years without changing the heater filter. Dirty air filters make your heater work harder, which puts extra wear and tear on the system, decreasing its lifespan. Experts recommend changing the filter every one to three months.
- Consider a Programmable Thermostat – If you have an older heater with a traditional thermostat, consider upgrading to a programmable one. A programmable thermostat allows you to set a lower temperature during the day when you’re not home, saving you money and decreasing the system’s stress.
- Eliminate Clutter – Believe it or not, a cluttered space around your heater will impede its performance. Furnaces need a certain amount of air going into the system, so if the area around the furnace is cluttered, it won’t get adequate air intake. Check the area around the heater for boxes and other obstructions.
- Call for Regular Maintenance – Calling a heating repair company for annual maintenance and tune-ups is an inexpensive way to ensure your heater is in the best shape possible and to fix those minor problems before they blow up into expensive repairs later.
Call us today and ask about our heat pump services.
Why Call Us?
Sonora residents have plenty of heating contractors to choose from when they need a heating replacement or repair. So, why do they continue to rely on us?
At Performance Based Heating & Air, we provide honest recommendations, which means we will never try to sell you on a product or service you don’t need. We use the latest technology to ensure you’re getting the best heating installation for your hard-earned dollars. Lastly, we provide prices upfront, so there’s never a surprise on your bill.